Scaffolding is a variety of supports erected at construction sites for workers to operate and solve vertical and horizontal transportation, usually used in construction, maintenance, renovation and other construction projects. Materials used for scaffolding fabrication are usually: bamboo, wood, steel pipe or synthetic materials, etc. Scaffolding is generally composed of uprights, horizontal bars, vertical bars, horizontal and vertical connectors, casters, foot pads, etc. Different types of scaffolding have different structures and characteristics, and the appropriate scaffolding should be selected according to the specific needs of the project.
What are the three main types of scaffolding？
1. Steel pipe scaffolding: also known as steel pipe scaffolding or pipe scaffolding, is a scaffolding system using steel pipes and connectors.
2. Portal scaffolding: also known as fastener scaffolding or steel plate scaffolding, is a scaffolding system using trapezoidal frames and steel plates.
3. Overhanging scaffolding: Overhanging scaffolding is a combination of fastener-type steel pipe, fastener-type steel pipe scaffolding and connecting wall parts, etc. The vertical load is transferred to the main structure through the bottom section steel support frame (or fastener-type steel pipe) for the construction of external scaffolding. It is a kind of scaffolding system that is erected in the high air by means of lifting or overhanging.
So what are the advantages and disadvantages of each of these three types of scaffolding?
1. Steel pipe scaffolding Advantages:
1) Structural stability: steel pipe scaffolding is usually standardized, modular design, assembled structural stability, to ensure construction safety.
2) build speed: assembly and disassembly is more convenient, build speed is relatively fast, improves construction efficiency.
Steel pipe scaffolding Disadvantages：
1) Heavyweight: steel pipes and connectors are heavy in themselves, which makes handling and installation more laborious and requires higher construction personnel.
2) Higher cost: Compared with other types of scaffolding, the material cost of steel pipe scaffolding is higher.
3) Not suitable for narrow spaces: steel scaffolding is more difficult to assemble in a small space, and not suitable for some narrow sites.
2. Door scaffolding Advantages:
1) Higher load-bearing capacity. When the scaffold geometry and construction in line with the relevant requirements of the code, in general, the scaffold of the single tube column bearing capacity is up to 15kN ~ 35kN (1.5tf ~ 3.5tf, design value).
2) Easy to install and dismantle, flexible erection. Because the length of the steel pipe is easy to adjust, the fasteners are easy to connect, so it can be adapted to a variety of planes, elevations of buildings, and structures with scaffolding.
3) More economic. Processing is simple, a low investment cost; if carefully designed scaffolding geometry, pay attention to improve the use of steel pipe turnover, the amount of material can also achieve good economic results. Door scaffolding is equivalent to about 15 kg of steel per square meter of construction.
Door scaffolding Disadvantages：
1) fasteners (especially its screw) are easy to be lost;
2)the bars at the nodes are eccentrically connected and rely on anti-slip forces to transfer loads and internal forces, thus reducing its load-bearing capacity;
3)Slow erection speed: Compared with steel scaffolding, the assembly speed of ladder scaffolding is slower, which may affect the construction efficiency.
3. Overhanging scaffolding Advantages:
1) efficient use of space: overhanging scaffolding does not occupy ground space, and can make full use of the construction site space, especially for small sites.
2) Convenient working at height: overhanging scaffolding structure is simple, and suitable for high-rise building facade construction, and large bridges.
Overhanging scaffolding Disadvantages:
1)Higher safety risk: The working space of overhanging scaffolding is high, and there is risk of working at height, so if there is bad weather such as wind of grade 6 or above, high temperature, heavy rain, heavy snow, and fog, the operation must be stopped.
2) Higher cost: Compared with other types of scaffolding, the cost of overhanging scaffolding is higher, including the investment and maintenance cost of overhanging platform and overhanging device.
What are the common occasions for steel pipe scaffolding, portal scaffolding and overhanging scaffolding respectively?
Commonly used occasions for steel tube scaffolding:
High-rise building construction, such as buildings, high-rise buildings, large structures, etc.
Large bridges, tunnels and other transportation infrastructure construction.
Construction of large industrial projects such as petrochemicals, electric power, ships, etc.
Portal scaffolding Commonly used occasions:
Interior decoration, indoor construction, such as residential buildings, stores, exhibition halls, etc.
Small building construction, such as small houses, villas, small buildings, etc.
Simple repair and maintenance work, such as interior painting, wall restoration, etc.
Common occasions for overhanging scaffolding:
Exterior wall construction of high-rise buildings, such as glass curtain wall, exterior wall coating construction, etc.
Cliff construction, such as mountain highway, cliff edge restoration and maintenance, etc.
High-altitude equipment installation and maintenance, such as large chimneys, overhead power lines, etc.
How to produce and apply the ringlock scaffolding product？
In fact, in practical application, different types of scaffolding can be combined and applied according to specific construction needs to meet the requirements of different projects. The general trend of scaffolding is toward lightweight and high-strength structures and multi-functional. The material is developed from wood and bamboo to steel products; the erection process will gradually adopt the assembly method, minimizing or not using fasteners, bolts, and other parts. If you want to purchase scaffolding and accessories, you may want to talk to our engineer, he will definitely give you the most suitable customized solution.