It is no simple matter to produce a premium Oil Country Tubular Good from a round block of high-strength steel.
- To manufacture Oil Country Tubular Goods, massive steel billets are heated to the forming temperature and formed into shells.
- These shells are then rolled over a mandrel on the push bench into a mother tube/ hollow.
- In the stretch reducing mill the tubes get their final customized dimension and wall thickness. At this point the tubes can be up to 150 meters long.
- After cooling the tubes are cut into desired random or fixed lengths.
- Depending on the end finish and final grade, the tube is then upset and heat-treated, which provides it with the desired mechanical properties. Next, it is furnished with a threaded connection.